CINCINNATI -- The Cubs sent Tyler Colvin to Triple-A Iowa late Monday to try and get the outfielder back to where he was in 2010.
"It's something that he definitely needs to go play," Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said. "He had a really good year for us, and since the first days of Spring Training, he never played up to that level.
"We're in the production business. It wasn't that he wasn't given enough at-bats. He didn't earn enough at-bats. The other guys here outplayed him, too."
No corresponding move was made.
Colvin was batting .113 and hitless in his past eight games. Last year, he made it difficult on the Cubs to try to get him playing time. This season, the struggles have been all his own.
"He needs to go down and play for a few weeks and once he does, we can go back to the plan we had for him," Hendry said. "He completely understood and was looking forward to getting some at-bats."
Before Monday's game against the Reds, a 7-4 loss, Cubs manager Mike Quade said he wanted to resolve the matter regarding Colvin.
"It's been a tough stretch for him, and growing pains can be tough sometimes," Quade said.
One option in the Minor Leagues could be Lou Montanez, who was the Cubs' No. 1 pick in the 2000 First-Year Player Draft (third overall) and is back with the team at Triple-A Iowa after four seasons in the Orioles' system. Following a 3-for-5 game on Sunday, in which he walked, doubled and had six RBIs, Montanez was batting .378 with 39 RBIs with Reno.