SAN FRANCISCO -- Starlin Castro is making progress on his defensive play. Since April 21, the Cubs shortstop has made two errors, and he has one since May 5. "His development is basically two things in a nutshell -- keep preparing like he has and understand the preparation," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said of Castro, who led the National League with 29 miscues in 2011. "It's preparation that has helped his defense over the last month or five weeks." Castro has improved on his throws, which is something Sveum has worked with the shortstop on.
"He's playing at a very high, confident level now, and I think a lot of that has to do with the way he's preparing during the day," Sveum said. What Castro didn't know, until a reporter told him after the Cubs fell to the Giants, 4-3, on Friday, was that his name had been mentioned as possible trade bait in a USA Today story. Both Sveum and Theo Epstein, Cubs president of baseball operations, have said the report was incorrect. "I didn't even know that," Castro said, sounding surprised. "If I knew that, maybe I'd think about it." The 22-year-old infielder wants to stay with the Cubs and be part of Epstein's foundation to build from. "That's what I want, to be here for all of my career," Castro said. "I don't want to go anywhere."