CLOSE

Now Commenting On:

Soler expected back in Class A lineup Thursday

Prospect set to return from suspension for 'charging' Clearwater dugout

Soler expected back in Class A lineup Thursday

CHICAGO -- Cubs prospect Jorge Soler will be back in the starting lineup Thursday for Class A Daytona, Cubs farm director Brandon Hyde told the Daytona Beach News-Journal.

"It's time for him to get back to playing," Hyde said.

More

Soler has been at the Cubs' extended spring camp in Mesa, Ariz., in recent days following last week's suspension by the Florida State League for "charging" the Clearwater Threshers' dugout -- with bat in hand -- last Wednesday night during a game in Daytona.

Soler, 21, signed a nine-year, $30 million contract with the Cubs last June, and was batting .435 with two home runs and four RBIs with Daytona. He is the No. 3 prospect in the system, according to MLB.com's 2013 Prospect Watch. Daytona manager Dave Keller told the News-Journal he spoke to Soler on Sunday night.

"I called him to say 'Hi' and let him know that I was thinking of him," Keller said. "He told me he was doing good, and he must have thanked me four or five times for calling him. Other guys on the team have called him to let him know they were thinking of him, too."

Keller said he looked forward to Soler returning.

"I like Jorge, and from a baseball standpoint and a development standpoint, I'd love to have him back, because he was doing some really good things on the field," Keller said. "There's a lot of good things that are potentially going to happen with this guy."

Joey Nowak is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter at @joeynowak. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Less