Alderman Tom Tunney, whose 44th Ward includes Wrigley Field, confirmed to the Chicago Tribune that the rooftop owners have agreed not to sue if only two signs are erected at the ballpark.
Last year, the Cubs said part of the $500-million-renovation plan for the ballpark and the surrounding neighborhood included adding two signs in the outfield -- a video scoreboard in left and a see-through sign in right. But in late May, the Cubs revealed they planned to increase the outfield signage, and want to install seven signs, including two video scoreboards -- one in left, one in right -- plus five see-through signs.
Cubs spokesman Julian Green told the Chicago Tribune on Thursday that the team planned to move forward with the revised plans released in May. The Cubs hoped to get approval for that plan on July 10 at a meeting of the Commission on Chicago Landmarks.
"We're 100 percent focused on presenting our revised expansion plan to the Commission on Chicago Landmarks," Green said. "Our construction timetable depends on getting the required approvals at that meeting, so that must be our priority at this time.
"Again, we're not prepared to lose another year and jeopardize delivering on the promises we made to our players, fans, partners and neighbors."
Fifteen of the buildings around Wrigley Field have been converted into rooftop businesses that sell tickets for their view of Cubs games. The Cubs and the rooftop owners reached an agreement in 2004 in which the team would receive 17 percent of the rooftop owners revenues for 20 years.
The Cubs cannot install anything to block the rooftop views, but feel the contract allows them to renovate the stadium and erect the signs as long as they receive approval from a public agency.
Carrie Muskat is a reporter for MLB.com. She writes a blog, Muskat Ramblings, and you can follow her on Twitter @CarrieMuskat. Daniel Popper is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.