CHICAGO -- Ryan Kalish was packing up his apartment in Chicago on Wednesday, and was eating at Chipotle when he got a call from his agent, who said the Cubs had asked if the outfielder wanted to keep playing.
Kalish said yes, and was at Wrigley Field about one hour later as the Cubs selected the outfielder's contract from Triple-A Iowa. Ryan Sweeney, on the disabled list since Aug. 27 with a left hamstring strain, was transferred to the 60-day disabled list, and is done for the season. And Mike Olt could join the Cubs on Friday.
Kalish, 26, was on the Cubs' Opening Day roster and batted .242 in 39 big league games before being optioned to Iowa on May 26. He hit .251 with 14 doubles, three triples, eight home runs, 37 RBIs and 12 stolen bases in 87 games with the Minor League team.
He had kept his apartment in Chicago, but was shipping some winter clothes home to Venice, Calif., when his agent called.
"It was 5 o'clock, and I got here at 6," he said at Wrigley Field after a pinch-hit appearance in a 6-2 win over the Brewers.
Kalish missed all of 2013 after undergoing right shoulder surgery.
"The last month, I really got feeling good, my body started feeling really good," Kalish said. "It was a good year for me. I'm happy to be healthy, No. 1. I finished up good there and was just hanging out."
Olt also began the season with the Cubs but the third baseman was demoted to Iowa on July 22 after batting .139 in 72 games with 12 home runs and 30 RBIs. He ended the season on the disabled list with a hamstring injury, and began a rehab assignment Wednesday with Class A Kane County in a big way. The third baseman went 2-for-3, hitting a three-run homer in Kane County's 7-3 win over Wisconsin in the first game of the best-of-three Midwest League playoffs.
If all goes well, Olt could join the Cubs on Friday, general manager Jed Hoyer said.